Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Change is the Only Constant

I've spoken to many about this already, but it's time to go public.

I'm winding down my studio, moving into a space where it's no longer my source of income. There are many reasons for this. I never did get the money good and strong, which makes the coming recession a little scarier than I wish to deal with. I don't like how many hours it takes in the evening, when my son is out of school and not in bed. I've had a good run and feel fine about how it's gone, overall, but it's time to move on.

How does this affect UBBT? Ironically, the only concern I've had about the program is how somebody who's not a full time martial artist could ever find the hours in the day. I guess I'm about to find out.

Right now I'm adjusting some of my goals. The accumulations are fine: I can make time for 150 pushups and 3 reps per day no trouble. Reading? Check. My acts of kindness and catalyzed acts already runneth over. No worries there. Living heroes/train with a master/meditate? Also fine.

The big changes will mostly be in my personal victories. I've already accomplished a few, and some I'm keeping, but I'll need to shift some. Two, especially, were about business goals.

The important thing is to take the hits and keep moving forward. My program will continue to exist. Instead of being The Man, I'll be on a board of directors. Instead of counting on it for my daily bread, I'll work a job and do my karate for the love of the art. I have to say I'm looking forward to it.

Now, after 5 years of business ownership, we'll see how well I do with having a boss....

Thanks for listening.

No comments: