Friday, January 4, 2008

Originally Written 12/28/07

It ain't fair.

Jenessa "Boey" Byers died just before 1 this morning. She had just 8 years here with us and that ain't fair. I'm angry. I'm sad. I'm relieved that she's no longer suffering and at the same time I feel guilty to feel anything that even resembles being glad a little girl is dead.

But in my saner moments, I think about it this way....

Boey got 8 years. In those years, she illuminated a community. She inspired literally millions through appearances on youtube, blogging and finally national television. She showed compassion and turned that compassion into real help for people who needed it. She pushed power brokers to draft a law that could make a difference all over this country and eventually the world.

When her time came, Boey met death with courage and honor. And she did it in a way that spared her family further suffering.

So really, people. How many of us can say we've done that with 8 years, regardless of what fraction of our span that happens to be? How many of us are going to fight for -- and win -- a beautiful death?

I suppose we'd best get crackin', hadn't we?

No comments: