Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mastery, Part Three

Many of my teammates know I do the ballroom dance thing. Well, to be honest, my wife does the ballroom dance thing. With grace, skill and style. I struggle with footwork that should come easy, considering. But I struggle often and with enthusiasm.

The other night, my wife and I went to a grange hall dance outside of our town. They'd had a dance there every Saturday night since 1956: waltz, foxtrot, drag and polka. Bev and I were the youngest folks in the room by fifteen years, and that couple was easily another fifteen younger than everybody else.

This was not only fun, but turned into a lesson in mastery. I danced with several women in their 90s...women who had been doing the foxtrot for over sixty years.

Effortless grace, kindness and patience. An understanding of give an take, of rhythm, or connection with a partner. These women taught me martial arts with every turn of the hall.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: