Monday, September 29, 2008

Mastery, Part Two

I wrote earlier about one aspect of my exposure to masters over this past year. Another way I've studied Mastery has been by taking in the works of masters.

My other hobby is writing. I write fiction, tech writing, ad copy and nonfiction. I've been published a few times. Even paid now and again. As I transition my life, I'm finding more time to write and to take this hobby more seriously.

So recently I've been reading fiction the way all of us watch a boxing match. Sure, it's entertaining. But it's also educational. We learn from our analysis of the match, we enjoy it on another level because of a professional understanding.

I won't bore you with the insights on how to write a detective novel or a young adult fantasy. Suffice to say, looking at the work of masters through the lens of mastery has aided my writing.

And, since I've got you, some fiction to check out when you have some time:

  • Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
  • Hatchet (Gary Paulsen)
  • Love That Dog (Sharon Creech)
  • Looking for Rachel Wallace (Robert B. Parker)
Thanks for listening.

No comments: